As a valued reader of MEMRI, you already know that producing and distributing MEMRI research while maintaining the numerous MEMRI websites is an increasingly costly undertaking. That is why your support is so vital to MEMRI at this crucial time. PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING US NOW.
With the holiday season and the end of the year fast approaching, we are counting on your support to help us meet our end-of-year financial obligations for 2014. We would also like to ask you to consider making your gift a recurring one, so that your support of MEMRI will continue into the coming year.
IF YOU DONATE TO MEMRI BY DECEMBER 31, 2014, YOUR DONATION WILL, OF COURSE, BE TAX DEDUCTIBLE FOR 2014.
Your support for MEMRI allows us to carry out research that is more critical and vital than ever.
This past year, MEMRI published over 500 translations and analysis reports, released over 600 MEMRI TV clips with over 17 million views, had over 100,000 followers on social media and over 100,000 subscribers to our email list, and sent over 3,200 emails; over 6 million MEMRI emails were received.
The following are just some of the important issues and developments we are monitoring and projects we are expanding every day:
- CUTTING-EDGE CYBER JIHAD RESEARCH: MEMRI has just launched its latest initiative, the MEMRI Cyber & Jihad Lab; its first publication was the landmark report "From Al-Qaeda To The Islamic State (ISIS), Jihadi Groups Engage in Cyber Jihad: Beginning With 1980s Promotion Of Use Of 'Electronic Technologies' Up To Today's Embrace Of Social Media To Attract A New Jihadi Generation," with a foreword by former CIA director James Woolsey. The CJL monitors, tracks, translates, and researches cyber jihad originating from the Middle East, Iran, and South Asia.
- MONITORING ONGOING PALESTINIAN INCITEMENT: MEMRI is continuing to focus on incitement to violence by the Palestinian Authority and Hamas - such as Palestinian leader Abbas' recent statements in an interview about the right of return of 6 million refugees, including himself; Hamas' glorification of terrorists' recent "creativity" in attacks in Israel, and threats that "the Palestinian volcano... will erupt in the occupation's face."
- TRACKING THE IRANIAN THREAT, INCLUDING IRAN'S MISSILE DEVELOPMENT AND NUCLEAR PROGRAMS AND SUPPORT FOR TERROR GROUPS: MEMRI is monitoring Iran's increasing threat to the region and the world - including its intensifying threats to annihilate Israel, its boasts about its development of long-range missiles specifically threatening U.S. targets in the region, and its provision of missiles to Hamas and Hizbullah, in addition to its continuing pursuit of its nuclear program and its bid for hegemony in the region.
- MEMRI TV - RELEASING CLIPS DAILY: The MEMRI TV project translates and releases video content from television and other video media from across the region. This past year, MEMRI TV clips were used daily by major media outlets, including CNN and FOX News, as well as on shows such as Jon Stewart's Daily Show and The Colbert Report.
- THE MEMRI JIHAD & TERRORISM THREAT MONITOR PROJECT (JTTM): MEMRI is monitoring and researching the ongoing expansion of the Islamic State (ISIS) across Syria and Iraq and its dissemination of material such as rules for treatment of its female sex slaves, as well as the spread of Al-Qaeda and its subsidiaries to India, and the homegrown terror threat in the West. This threat includes lone-wolf attacks, which these organizations are encouraging via more than 150 media outlets worldwide.
- EXPOSING JIHADI SHEIKHS IN THE WEST: Ongoing tracking of jihadis in the West, including exposing jihadi sheikhs in the U.S., Italy, Germany, and other countries. Just this past week, Spanish authorities launched an investigation of a Spanish imam who in a sermon translated by MEMRI called on Allah to "destroy the plundering Jews"; earlier, a sermon by a Berlin imam praying for the annihilation of the Jews that was translated by MEMRI led to his subsequent investigation by German police, and a sheikh in an Italian mosque who, in a sermon translated by MEMRI, called on Allah to kill the Jews "to the very last one," was expelled from Italy.
- MONITORING THE THREAT OF LONE-WOLF AND FOREIGN JIHADI FIGHTERS: MEMRI monitors members of Al-Qaeda, ISIS, and other jihadi groups who are from the U.S., Canada, Britain, Australia, France, Denmark, Germany, Finland, Hungary, and other Western countries, and the threats they make against the West. Just this week, MEMRI analyzed the latest issue of Al-Qaeda's online magazine Inspire, which calls for attacks against, and in, the West.
- THE MEMRI COUNTER-RADICALIZATION PROJECT: Focusing on monitoring, researching, and disseminating disagreements and disputes in the Arab and Muslim world, particularly from within the jihadi community, about jihad and its excesses, especially about ISIS. Recent releases include a senior Salafi-jihadi ideologue telling Muslims not to heed ISIS, an Indian cleric issuing an anti-ISIS fatwa, and a Saudi fatwa against travelling to join the jihad.
- THE LANTOS ARCHIVES ON ANTISEMITISM AND HOLOCAUST DENIAL: This project is conducting ongoing research on antisemitism and Holocaust denial in the Muslim and Arab world. Speakers at the Archives' annual Capitol Hill event, at which the annual report is released, have included leading Members of Congress, Secretary of State John Kerry, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, and House of Representatives Budget Chairman Paul Ryan. U.S. Vice President Joseph R. Biden, then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and Speaker of the House of Representatives John Boehner have sent expressions of their support, along with Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Elie Wiesel, and others.
- THE MEMRI TURKISH MEDIA PROJECT: MEMRI has partially resumed its translation of content from the Turkish media - halted a few years ago due to lack of resources - focusing on the surging antisemitism in Turkey, which includes calls for Jews to be sent to concentration camps and pay a "special tax," and on Islamist President Erdogan and the AKP as they steer the country back towards its Islamic Ottoman past.
- THE MEMRI SOUTH ASIA STUDIES PROJECT: Closely following developments in South Asia after the U.S. pullout from Afghanistan, including growing support for ISIS there, and ongoing events in Pakistan including anti-Shi'ite activity.
- EXPANDING MEMRI'S REACH INTERNATIONALLY: Earlier this year, MEMRI launched the MEMRI French website, the MEMRI Spanish Twitter account (@memri_spanish), and more.
If you have not already done so, please consider making a tax-deductible donation today. To those of you who have sent in donations by check: We thank you and want you to know that we are currently processing these donations.
In gratitude for your consideration.