- To visit the Updated MEMRI TV 9/11 Documentation Project Website, click here .
- To visit the Updated MEMRI 9/11 Documentation Project Website, click here .
Following are excerpts from a statement made by Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, which was posted on the Internet on July 26, 2013. The date of the interview is unknown.
Member of the audience: "Were the Jews involved in the events at the World Trade Center? It is true that many Jews did not show up to work that day? Was it really carried out by the so-called "Al-Qaeda"?"
Jamal Khashoggi: "Yes, it was carried out by Al-Qaeda, and the proof is that Al-Qaeda itself said so. Why should we deny these people their greatest achievement so far? They are proud of this, so why should we rob them of this "achievement," with which they made history?
"As for the story about the 40 Jews [who did not show up to work], I recall that when I was working at Arab News, we received that news item, which came, I'm sad to say, from the Saudi news agency. I refused to publish it. I said that this item was illogical and that whoever sent it was irresponsible.
"It is really preposterous to say that 40 or 50 Jews convened and agreed – [miming a phone call] "Menachem, don't go to work today because something is going down…" – yet this was discovered by no one but [Hizbullah's] Al-Manar TV.
"Then we started to pass the story on from one to another, and it reached the point that even our news agency carelessly reported it, and some people wanted to run the story in our newspapers… This was a mistake. Even official bodies make mistakes."