Following are excerpts
from various declarations by Brigadier-General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, commander
of the IRGC Aerospace Force, which aired on Iranian
TV channels during July 2011:
Al-Alam TV, July 3,
2011:
Interviewer: In
a blitz attack, which may be contemplated by the US or the Israeli entity,
for example, the element of surprise is always talked about. Can it
now be said…Now that you have achieved the technology to build underground
silos for missiles, which are ready for launching at any moment, in
addition to the other advantages you have noted, can it now be said
that the element of surprise has become a thing of the past?
Amir Ali Hajizadeh:
We have, in fact, shortened our response time. It is only natural that
our response to the evil deeds of the enemy will not be restricted to
one means. There will be other means. But as far as missile systems
are concerned, I can say that we will shorten the necessary response
time. In any event, maybe in the past, our enemies thought about this,
but today, the Zionist entity no longer does. Nor does the US contemplate
embarking upon the adventure of a war against Iran, because it would
be difficult for it to avoid the serious consequences, and the decisive
Iranian retaliation.
Perhaps this possibility
was on the agenda in the days of Bush. Back then, they were waging a
psychological war, in an attempt to beat us without waging an actual
war. At any rate, it was necessary to reduce our response time. If the
Zionist entity wants to attack us, we will strike at the heart of Tel
Aviv before their planes even leave our airspace. They thought that
they could carry out a quick bombardment and return home, and then other
countries would intervene to achieve a truce, like was the case with
[Israel's Arab enemies]. But we have denied them this possibility. Nobody
would dare to attack us. Before those planes – or what is left of
them – return to their bases, our missiles would hit their designated
targets.
[…]
We have planned and conducted
calculations, and we have reached the conclusion that we do not need
a range of more than 2,000 kilometers, because Israel is no further
than this from our borders. But in order to feel secure, and for our
[strategic] centers to be secure, we must be prepared and must develop
and enlarge our missile bases.
We do not feel that we
have another enemy, more than 2,000 km away. This is not on our agenda.
The US has also made our missions easier. There are 50 American bases
surrounding Iran, no more than 200-300 kilometers away. If the Americans
want to carry out evil deeds against us – well, they have brought
150,000 soldiers over, and they have dozens of bases. We can bomb all
these targets, including the US Navy in the Persian Gulf. This will
happen if the US wants to carry out a criminal operation against us,
and the same goes for Israel.
[…]
IRINN
– Iranian News Channel, July 8, 2011:
Most of our tests are
conducted in the desert. God has given us a security zone of over 1,000
kilometers to carry out our mission. In some cases, we have to test
longer-range missiles. We did so in the month of Bahman last year, when
we fired two missiles, with a range of 1,900 km, from the Semnan Desert
towards the Indian Ocean.
Interestingly, the Americans
were present there at the time. We announced [the test] and closed off
the area. The point where the missiles made contact with the water was
clearly visible. Our prediction about the missiles' point of contact
was confirmed, and the data was recorded. We let the US spy planes remain
in the area, because it is a public area and we were not worried. It
is interesting that the Americans did not make any information public.
[…]
There were two parts
to this test. The first was the firing of surface-to-surface missiles,
which the ground unit carried out. The second part took place in the
sea and was concluded last week. With regard to the ground unit, we
successfully used new operators in all the launching pads. These new
operators completed their training last year or in recent years. The
test was completely successful and on schedule. According to the initial
reports of the evaluation teams, the units carried out their work successfully.
The target areas were hit successfully.
With regard to the sea
unit, we tested the Persian Gulf, missile, the research phase of which
was completed last year. It was manufactured by the Ministry of Defense.
We fired missiles from the first batch successfully.
[…]
Channel 1, Iranian
TV, July 19, 2011:
This aircraft carrier
is 330 meters long and 70 meters wide. It has more than 6,000 personnel
on board, and it carries 70-80 aircrafts. This is a target for us. If
they think that these capabilities increase their power in the region,
they are obviously mistaken. With our current capacities, they cannot
threaten us. If they make any move against us, we will attack them.
Naturally, we did not start a war in the past, we are not doing so now,
and we will not do so in the future. If they take any action against
us, our response will be strong and lethal.
[…]