Following is an excerpt
from an Al-Jazeera TV report on the Taliban in Afghanistan, which aired
on May 13, 2010.
Reporter: These
are the remains of a US-made Chinook helicopter. The US forces in Afghanistan
admitted that it had been hit last Tuesday, saying that it was forced
to land, and that everyone aboard was evacuated alive. The Taliban movement,
however, says that its militants waged a fierce battle, which lasted
several hours, near the Sangin district, in Helmand Province, south
Afghanistan. It said that the downing of the helicopter was one of the
results.
Habibullah (Taliban
spokesman in Helmand Province): As the spokesman for the commander
of operations in Helmand, I can say that we inflicted great losses upon
the US forces in the Sangin district, when they tried to attack us.
We downed three helicopters.
Reporter:
The delight that these citizens derived from the American helicopter
wreckage clearly indicates their bias toward the people who claimed
responsibility for downing it, in the battles waged in the south, although
the foreign forces say that their real battle is to win the hearts and
minds of the people, not to wreak destruction.
Young man: I went
up to the roof, and I saw the foreign forces moving their dead and wounded.
Then planes bombed the place where the helicopters crashed, and destroyed
two of them. The mujahideen
took large quantities of weapons.
Reporter: The
Taliban militants wish to consolidate their control of the southern
regions, ignoring the threats of renewed operations by the foreign and
Afghan forces in the summer. The Taliban were the first to declare counter-operations,
which they named Fath [“victory”]. It says that the Sangin
battle was the opening shot.